Moving Dog Travel?

Navigating Pet Travel? Let Aphis Help

Additionally, The USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is responsible for ensuring that people traveling by air with pets treat them safely and humanely. This includes regulations, tests, inspections and forms that need to be completed by an accredited APHIS Veterinarian before you travel. We also recommend calling your airline in advance to understand their requirements for traveling with your pet. If you intend to bring your pet back into the U.S., there may be certain re-entry requirements, depending on where you traveled. Traveling with Pets – The USDA provides information necessary for traveling with your pets, including vaccination requirements, alerts, etc.

Obviously, your pet is not livestock, but your pet can carry diseases that affect livestock, and can transmit these to livestock in the country you are visiting. Your pet can also carry diseases that can be transmitted to people. The government simply wants to ensure they are regulating the risk of letting people bring foreign animals into the country. If you’re traveling by car, you should carry your pet’s vaccine history, their most current rabies certificate, and a veterinarian issued pet health certificate that includes information about their most recent wellness exam. Traveling by air is the most common form of travel, and it will understandably come with more stringent guidelines and rules. Above all else, it is best to call your airline to obtain their own pet travel requirements so you are not met with any surprises while at the airport.

Make sure all dates are written correctly , microchip numbers match up to microchip paperwork, your pet’s age on the 7001 matches what’s on their vaccination records (you wouldn’t believe how often this is incorrect!), etc. Therefore, you want to start your preparations well in advance, so you will not have to rush and run the risk of some detail being overlooked. Detailed guidance documents on sending pets to select countries as well as importing pets into the U.S. Our experience includes, international and domestic shipping, breeding, grooming, showing, training, vet surgical assistance and rescue. We have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the complex and changing airline shipping system.

APHIS International Pet Travel Our veterinarians at Animal Health Care of Marlboro are some of the few veterinarians in New Jersey who can provide APHIS travel certificates. When traveling internationally, please note that the preparation for certification can take months. When traveling with your pet, there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, please contact us to assist with the pet travel process. Factors to consider may include meeting time frames for obtaining a health certificate, updating vaccinations, diagnostic testing, or administration of medications/ treatments. Our veterinarians at Animal Health Care of Marlboro are some of the few veterinarians in New Jersey who are licensed to provide APHIS travel certificates.

However, do not expect us to have the CVI/Health Certificate waiting for you and to know all the details about completing it. We are experts in treating and preventing animal disease, not in animal importation and exportation. Each individual country’s veterinary inspection process is different. We can assist you with animal exportation and importation, but it is not a primary focus of what we do. Things will go much smoother if you take time to be well prepared ahead of your visit to complete the CVI/Health Certificate. Once your veterinarian completes the health certificate, it will need to be submitted for endorsement by mail or in person at your local USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services Export Service Office.

The veterinarians at Pet Medical Services are all USDA Accredited. Each country and state has their own specific requirements and regulations. These regulations have been created to prevent the spread of diseases, and to help keep track of animals during travel.

Start your travel preparations several months in advance as many countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, have stringent requirements. If you are moving to a new state or traveling with your pet-especially to other countries -you will likely need an Interstate or International Health Certificate. To know for sure what is required, St. Marks Veterinary Hospital recommends contacting the visiting country’s consulate or embassy. Without the necessary paperwork, you and your pet may get temporarily separated during your trip. Work with your veterinarian at Animal Health Care of Marlboro to complete all required paperwork. Choose the company that families and Fortune 500 companies trust to manage each detail of a pet’s move with personal attention and logistical precision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *