Directing Furry friend Travel?

Usda Aphis

Please note that airlines may have separate and additional requirements, as well. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they have, if any. Please verify all destination and airline requirements before scheduling your appointment. If you are traveling with your pet dog or cat, you’ll need to meet the animal health requirements of the country you are visiting.

Animals entering the U.S. may be subject to regulation by USDA APHIS as well as other federal agencies. Depending on your destination state, your pet may need to also meet additional health requirements. Finally, as you complete your pet’s traveling papers you will need to obtain a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection , or Health Certificate, from a USDA Accredited Veterinarian.

Most vets know offhand whether or not they have this accreditation, but if there is any uncertainty, the nearest USDA Veterinary Services office can double check accreditation statuses for you and your vet. The CVI/Health Certificate does require a physical exam by the veterinarian, with associated charges, and dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies. The CVI/Health Certificate is valid for 10 days when leaving, 30 days when returning home.

There may be additional requirements depending on the destination country. Please make sure to check with your airline for their requirements for travel. If you’re planning to fly, research the specific airline you plan to use. Some airlines have their own requirements while others defer to those issued by the destination state or country. The USDA Veterinary Services offices do not need to see pets to issue health certificates—they only look at the paperwork after it has been completed. That means you’ll need to ask your local vet if they are accredited.

If you must make a correction to the paperwork, have your vet draw a single line through the error and initial somewhere next to the correction. When in doubt, or if your health certificate starts to become too messy or illegible, start over with a new health certificate. If you’re moving internationally with your petfrom the United States, you’re most likely going to need an International Health Certificate, also known as the USDA APHIS Form 7001. We are often asked about this form and it’s one of the most searched for documents for people planning to transport their pet to another country. The veterinarians at Alto Tiburon Veterinary Hospital are USDA-accredited and can assist you in getting your pet ready for your trip, including assessing whether they’re healthy enough for travel—especially the rigors of an airline flight.

Most importantly, once the complex pre-entry process is completed and it is time for the long journey itself, we never compromise on the safety and welfare of your furry family members. From departure to final destination, WorldCare Pet’s comprehensive services set the gold standard in compassionate pet relocation. When you schedule your appointment, please let us know where and when you’re planning to travel, so we can properly address your needs. Frequently Asked Questions about traveling on airlines with animals in the cabin. Discusses regulations implementing the Wild Bird Conservation Act that provide for permits to allow foreign travel with your pet bird . Visit our History of Requirement Updates for Live Animal Exports, including Pet Travel, to view live animal export regulation updates.

Importing dogs into the United States for resale, whether through commercial sale or adoption, is now covered under the Animal Welfare Act . Congress added this section to the AWA in 2008 and APHIS published specific regulations(PDF | 1.58MB) in 2014. If the type of animal you are traveling with is not listed, click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *