Directing Family pet Vacation?

Aphis Pet Travel Website

Make sure you know how to collect your pet at the port of entry upon arrival in your destination country. It’s also important to remember that various U.S agencies regulate the entry of your pet back into the United States – plan ahead and check those requirements on the website before you go. Planning for these travel excursions can take quite some time when done properly, and it is best to allow at least two months to prepare for domestic travel, and up to four months to prepare for international travel. Furthermore, in some cases, rabies titers are required when traveling to destinations such as Hawaii and Australia and an additional amount of time to allow for said testing is advised.

Obviously, your pet is not livestock, but your pet can carry diseases that affect livestock, and can transmit these to livestock in the country you are visiting. Your pet can also carry diseases that can be transmitted to people. The government simply wants to ensure they are regulating the risk of letting people bring foreign animals into the country. If you’re traveling by car, you should carry your pet’s vaccine history, their most current rabies certificate, and a veterinarian issued pet health certificate that includes information about their most recent wellness exam. Traveling by air is the most common form of travel, and it will understandably come with more stringent guidelines and rules. Above all else, it is best to call your airline to obtain their own pet travel requirements so you are not met with any surprises while at the airport.

Most vets know offhand whether or not they have this accreditation, but if there is any uncertainty, the nearest USDA Veterinary Services office can double check accreditation statuses for you and your vet. The CVI/Health Certificate does require a physical exam by the veterinarian, with associated charges, and dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies. The CVI/Health Certificate is valid for 10 days when leaving, 30 days when returning home.

Start your travel preparations several months in advance as many countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, have stringent requirements. If you are moving to a new state or traveling with your pet-especially to other countries -you will likely need an Interstate or International Health Certificate. To know for sure what is required, St. Marks Veterinary Hospital recommends contacting the visiting country’s consulate or embassy. Without the necessary paperwork, you and your pet may get temporarily separated during your trip. Work with your veterinarian at Animal Health Care of Marlboro to complete all required paperwork. Choose the company that families and Fortune 500 companies trust to manage each detail of a pet’s move with personal attention and logistical precision.

APHIS International Pet Travel Our veterinarians at Animal Health Care of Marlboro are some of the few veterinarians in New Jersey who can provide APHIS travel certificates. When traveling internationally, please note that the preparation for certification can take months. When traveling with your pet, there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, please contact us to assist with the pet travel process. Factors to consider may include meeting time frames for obtaining a health certificate, updating vaccinations, diagnostic testing, or administration of medications/ treatments. Our veterinarians at Animal Health Care of Marlboro are some of the few veterinarians in New Jersey who are licensed to provide APHIS travel certificates.

Make sure all dates are written correctly , microchip numbers match up to microchip paperwork, your pet’s age on the 7001 matches what’s on their vaccination records (you wouldn’t believe how often this is incorrect!), etc. Therefore, you want to start your preparations well in advance, so you will not have to rush and run the risk of some detail being overlooked. Detailed guidance documents on sending pets to select countries as well as importing pets into the U.S. Our experience includes, international and domestic shipping, breeding, grooming, showing, training, vet surgical assistance and rescue. We have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the complex and changing airline shipping system.

However, do not expect us to have the CVI/Health Certificate waiting for you and to know all the details about completing it. We are experts in treating and preventing animal disease, not in animal importation and exportation. Each individual country’s veterinary inspection process is different. We can assist you with animal exportation and importation, but it is not a primary focus of what we do. Things will go much smoother if you take time to be well prepared ahead of your visit to complete the CVI/Health Certificate. Once your veterinarian completes the health certificate, it will need to be submitted for endorsement by mail or in person at your local USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services Export Service Office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *